At the Wellness Council of Indiana, we provide businesses the tools they need to achieve their health and well-being goals. This includes a number of services offered directly to businesses to help them address some of the most common challenges expressed in workplace well-being.
Substance Misuse – Indiana Workforce Recovery
Wellness Council staff will provide small group/individual consultations and trainings for human resources and management staff within an organization. Topics include:
- Best practices for behavioral health provider partnerships
- Second/last chance protocol review and coordination with legal counsel
- Intervention training
- Signs and symptoms of substance misuse
- Managing and supporting individuals in recovery
- Managing and supporting individuals enrolled in Medication-Assisted Treatment programs
Through a grant with the Indiana State Department of Health, Division of Chronic Disease, the Wellness Council of Indiana is providing consultation services and support to Indiana organizations that seek guidance in learning about diabetes in the workplace. Consultations are designed for wellness program managers and will include:
- Diabetes prevention and self-management guidelines for the workplace
- Best practices and guidelines for diabetes prevention and management
- Discussion of comprehensive benefit plan design to support individuals with diabetes
Through a grant with the Indiana State Department of Health, Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Commission, the Wellness Council of Indiana is providing consultation services and workshops in effort to support to Indiana organizations that seek guidance in learning about tobacco in the workplace. Consultations are designed for wellness program managers and will include:
- Tobacco prevention and cessation guidelines for the workplace
- Best practices and guidelines for tobacco prevention and cessation
- Discussion of comprehensive benefit plan design to support individuals trying to quit
Wellness Council staff will deliver presentations and workshops for supervisors and employees at your business on a variety of topics, such as:
- Recognizing the signs and symptoms of substance use disorder (SUD)
- Managing and supporting individuals in recovery
- Prevent, Assist, Retain, a best practice presentation, and empathy-building exercises
- Empathy-building exercises
Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid is a public education program that introduces participants to risk factors and warning signs of mental illnesses, builds understanding of their impact and provides an overview of common supports. This eight-hour course uses role-playing and simulations to demonstrate how to offer initial help in a mental health crisis and connect persons to the appropriate professional, peer, social and self-help care.
Substance Use Disorder – Centerstone
Would you like to retain/hire qualified talent that tests positive on a drug screen or alcohol assessment? Wondering how to assist someone who comes forward to request assistance while also protecting your business? Want to support efforts of Indiana’s recovery community while expanding your potential pool of applicants?
Indiana Workforce Recovery’s latest strategic partnership is with the same organization that produced Belden’s award-winning Pathways to Employment program. Centerstone is a nationally recognized provider of mental health and addiction treatment services. Centerstone’s Workforce Investment Program provides employers with substance use disorder (SUD) workforce recovery strategies, as well as individualized SUD treatment, employment coaching linkages to training, and other participant supports for new and incumbent workers struggling with substance misuse.
Through this partnership direct consultations will be available at low cost to businesses throughout the state looking for evidence-based solutions that help them and or retain talent dealing with substance misuse. This process will work just as well for an employee/applicant who is recreationally misusing marijuana as it will for an individual with severe opioid use disorder.
All businesses that participate in this process to completion will have internal policies and protocols in compliance with Indiana’s Substance Use and Treatment Law, which provides civil liability protections and the ability to participate in wage assignments for participating employees.
Participating businesses will receive:
- Review and development of evidence-based best-practice substance misuse policy
- Second-chance agreement
- Supervisor trainings
- Connection to a vetted local behavioral health provider
- Employee facing education materials on addictions, alcohol use disorder, depressants, hallucinogens, opioid use disorder, and stimulants
- Best practice process and protocols for handling a failed drug screen, tailored to your business
- Step by step implementation guides and direct assistance
Obesity – On Target Health
The Wellness Council of Indiana has partnered with On Target Health (OTH) which aims to create a healthier Indiana through workplace well-being initiatives. Reducing state obesity rates remains one of the goals for the Indiana Chamber’s Indiana Vision 2025 strategic plan with the mission to “make Indiana a global leader in innovation and economic opportunity where enterprises and citizens prosper.”
The cost of obesity in Indiana is staggering, adding roughly $11.9 billion in increased health care costs, lower productivity and other related impacts. Obesity leads to other serious health concerns such as hypertension, Type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Employers share the burden of this epidemic, as obese employees generate more than $51,000 in medical claims (per 100 full-time employees) each year, compared with $7,500 for healthy weight workers — driving up health care costs for all employees.
On Target Health offers employer-sponsored weight management programs that target obesity, one of the leading causes of chronic conditions. This partnership will help aid efforts to create a thriving, healthy workforce in Indiana. Wellness Council of Indiana members will receive exclusive program pricing through OTH.