By Lisa A. Patton, associate director of fundraising and special events, American Diabetes Association
I’m excited to let you know that in celebration of our 75th anniversary, the American Diabetes Association is launching Wellness Lives Here, a workplace engagement program designed to inspire healthful habits at work and beyond. As part of the effort, we are starting a new mission engagement day called “National Get Fit, Don’t Sit Day” on Wednesday, May 6.
Key Components of Wellness Lives Here
Components of the campaign are easily scalable and include:
- Mission engagement days (three) – focused on physical activity, nutrition and diabetes risk awareness
- Health champion designation – opportunity for companies to be acknowledged for providing a culture of wellness to their employees
- Stop Diabetes @ Work employer resources
- Diabetes-related resources for employees
- Participation in the Association’s signature physical activity events
National Get Fit, Don’t Sit Day is our first mission engagement day. We would be delighted to have you participate. We have developed a Get Fit, Don’t Sit e-toolkit that includes all of the materials you need to engage your employees in fun, healthy activities that get them out of their chairs and moving. Picture walking meetings, “lunch-ercise” activities, DIY desk exercises, internal competitions and more.
We’re excited about this new way to engage with the Association and look forward to discussing it with you further. In the meantime, please take a look at our web site, wellnessliveshere.org.
Once you have downloaded all of the tools for National Get Fit, Don’t Sit Day, we are asking that you do a quick recap on how you activated this day with your employees. You can contact me at [email protected] or (317) 352-9226 extension 6735 if you have any questions.
Thank you, again, for joining in this movement. We look forward to you getting fit and not sitting on May 6!