The Wellness Council’s top priority is the safety of its employees, members, investors and other partners/guests. While there is a large volume of information being circulated about the coronavirus pandemic from a wide variety of sources, we encourage you to utilize the information below in helping make the decisions that are best for your organization. You may also submit a related question that will be answered by staff or private sector professionals.
The Indiana Chamber endorses a gradual re-opening of the state’s economy, recognizing the ongoing importance of health and safety. We must get back to a level of business activity that resembles some sense of normalcy. That need is reinforced by the findings of our recent Economic Road to Recovery Survey of member companies across the state.
What you will find below are education and tools to help you restart your business. A “submit a question” feature enables you to get answers to your specific questions by staff or private sector professionals. We will continue to offer free webinars led by legal, HR and other professionals on a wide range of topics designed to help your business emerge from this crisis.
FREE Employer Webinars and Replays
- May 19, 12-1:30 p.m.: COVID-19 Protection Planning for Your Business
- Missed one? Zoom replays available (14)
On May 1, Governor Eric Holcomb outlined the next steps in getting the state back to business. The five-phase plan, called Back on Track Indiana, details a comprehensive process for reopening the economy, continued social distancing guidelines and more. Advancement to the next phase is based on continuing evaluation of four key health principles. Click on the chart for Back on Track highlights at a glance.
NOW ONLINE! Indiana’s Small Business PPE Exchange: To qualify to receive free masks, hand sanitizer, etc., businesses must have less than 150 employees, operate a restaurant OR be in retail sales, personal services or office environments, plus be registered with the Indiana secretary of state to do business in Indiana. Officials have said this source should be a company’s last resort to acquiring PPE. Order form.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- Indiana State Department of Health: State-Specific Updates
- Indiana State Department of Health hotline: (877) 826-0011 from 8 a.m. to midnight daily
- Be Well Indiana: Free mental health resources from the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration
- Indiana Medicaid: Telemedicine, telephone options available
- Indiana Rural Health Association: Connecting Kids to Coverage-Indiana
- Anthem: Coronavirus and COVID-19: What You Need to Know
- Johns Hopkins: Coronavirus at a Glance
Government / Community Assistance
- Back on Track Indiana: Comprehensive process from Gov. Holcomb for reopening the economy, continued social distancing guidelines and more.
- U.S. Department of Labor Guidance on Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA): Includes a Q&A, fact sheet for employers and fact sheet for employees. FFCRA poster and FAQ on posting requirements
- U.S. Department of Treasury on the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act Overview: Includes information for small businesses and workers/families
- U.S. Department of Treasury Information on Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) (additional funding signed into law April 24): Overview; Lender information; Borrower information; Application; FAQ
- NEW PPP Loan Forgiveness Guidance: Business owners that make a written offer to employees for the same position at the same salary will not be penalized if the employees refuse to come back.
- Emergency Loans: Small Business Guide and Checklist
- U.S. Small Business Administration Coronavirus Disaster Loans: Application deadline is December 18, 2020, but you are encouraged to apply ASAP. Free advising and application assistance via Indiana Small Business Development Center.
- NEW U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: SEC temporarily relaxes crowdfunding rules. Federal Register notice | press release
- OSHA’s Response to Workplace Safety and Coronavirus Exposure: Overview of agency guidance during the coronavirus
- IRS COVID-19 Tax Credits FAQ: Details reimbursement process for the emergency paid leave provided by small and midsize businesses
- Coronavirus Assistance Toolkits From U.S. Senators: Sen. Todd Young and Sen. Mike Braun (send comments/questions to [email protected])
- Indiana Chamber Road to Recovery Policy Agenda: The goal is to help achieve both short-term relief and long-term economic growth for Hoosier businesses and their workforce. More than 30 recommended policies fall into six areas: economic stimulus, employment, federal, health, tax and unemployment. The list has been shared with Governor Holcomb and his Economic Recovery Task Force, state legislators and the Indiana congressional delegation.
Tools You Can Use
- Ice Miller: Indiana Chamber legal counsel has a resource center for businesses on coronavirus in the workplace
- Protecting workers: OSHA home page (for continued updates); initial guidance summary
- COVID-19 Cleaning Guidance for Businesses: Direction from the Indiana State Department of Health
- Indiana Chamber webinar replay: Getting Employees Back to Work Safely presented by OurHealth on April 27
- Be Well Indiana: Free mental health resources for your employees from the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration
- Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD): Comprehensive guidance for employers and employees as they work through unemployment, rolling layoffs and re-engaging the workforce. Unemployment insurance FAQ for Claimants and FAQ for Employers
- NEW Take Advantage of Various Tax Provisions in the CARES ACT: Indiana Chamber’s tax expert Bill Waltz offers brief overview
- NEW COVID-19 Screening Tool: Employees can evaluate symptoms with Apple’s in-home health assessment and understand possible next steps
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce: Combating the coronavirus and impact on business
Continued Call for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
If your company can donate current inventory or possibly manufacture any of the PPE listed here for use by Indiana health care professionals, please use the state of Indiana’s dedicated email address, [email protected]. If you would like to donate any of these supplies directly to your local hospital, use the Indiana Hospital Association’s dedicated email at [email protected] for contact information. PPE Sourcing Input Form
Wellness Council/Chamber Operations as of May 1
- The Wellness Council/Indiana Chamber office remains closed to visitors. All staff is working remotely and is available to help meet your needs
- Employee training conferences and seminars for May and June are being conducted on a virtual basis or rescheduled for a later date. Registered attendees will be informed of changes impacting their events, and the Wellness Council/Chamber web site will be updated with the latest information
- The 2020 Best Places to Work in Indiana awards dinner and program has been rescheduled for August 24 at the Indiana Convention Center
We will, of course, be monitoring ongoing developments, re-evaluating and keeping you informed of changes. We encourage you to take the best steps necessary for your individual organization. We are confident that the many positive attributes of Hoosiers will help us all persevere through these challenges and thrive once again for many years to come.